Hopezine is a small, printed magazine and blog – right here! – by Erica Crompton, a journalist with schizoaffective who herself survived a suicide attempt.
Based in Staffordshire, Hopezine aims to share stories from people who have survived adversity in all its forms to offer hope for all people feeling low or suicidal.
HOPEZINE – mission statement
I’m Erica, a mental health campaigner and journalist (NYTimes, Guardian, Metro, Lancet, etc) based in Staffordshire and I’m the creator behind Hopezine, a zine for suicide prevention – it’s something I wished to do after two friends from my childhood were lost to suicide this summer. With these two deaths in mind, and having survived a suicide attempt myself in 2009, I wanted to do something to reach out to others in Staffordshire.
– ‘TO GIVE PEOPLE HOPE FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE!’
– To run during key times of the year such as ‘Blue Monday’ this is said to be the most depressing day of the year
– To challenge ideas and myths about people with suicidal thoughts
– To put a human face and voice to those in severe distress
– To flag/sign post to lighthouse organisations such as the Samaritans
– All stories are written by ‘experts by experience’ people who’ve had failed experience of suicide themselves or through a loved one
– All stories are edited by me, Erica, and I’ve experience editing a number of quality magazines and newsletters including a peer-reviewed science journal.
– All stories should inspire hope to a brighter future or challenge the stigma to people with severe mental illnesses and/or suicidal thoughts
– Stories can give a voice to vulnerable people and also improve their self-esteem by engaging in a project for the community
ARTWORKS/PHOTOS OF HOPE
– The images are all in keeping and challenge grey stereotypes of mental illness so bright, happy and above all hopeful
– The cover artist who donated work for the debut issue is Pure Evil, a world renowned graffiti artist with his own gallery in London’s Shoreditch
– Artworks and design should be modern to appeal to all
Contact me for more information firstname.lastname@example.org